ST PETER'S SUPPER
On Saturday, 29th September 2012 the church, beautiful in a new robe of cream plaster, welcomed one hundred Friends to a delicious three-course hot supper.
ST PETER'S BOOKSTALL
Regular visitors to St Peter's will know that there is usually a second-hand bookstall inside the church. The proceeds from it go towards the development of this ancient building. At the moment, because of the refurbishment taking place, the bookstall has been removed but will be back in the summer when the work is completed. The Friends of St Peter's wishes to thank all those who have donated books and/or purchased them hitherto and thus helped to keep this very special place alive.
St. Peter's Glass Doors
In January 2005, the west entrance was given a pair of inner glass doors (to sit behind the wooden external ones). This was the culmination of a two-year project originated by Leonard Barlow - a Sandwich achitect to raise funds for their manufacture and installation. Their purpose is to act as a glass screen through which the passerby can see into the church when the outer wooden doors are thrown open. The glass screen reveals the full length of the south aisle up to the altar. In time, improved lighting will enhance this view. The glass doors enable events taking place inside the church to be on view to those passing along the thoroughfare at the west end of the church, while protecting those within from the weather.
During Christmas 2004, for the first time, the new glass doors revealed a nativity scene, made by pupils from Sandwich Junior School and illuminated by Wyman Electricals Ltd. After dark it shone out from behind the glass casting a glow across the steps leading down to the footpath skirting the church: a beacon of light in the winter gloom.
The Heritage Organ
The Heritage Organ is a four-stop instrument incorporating pipes from the original Hobday Organ of c. 1880, which was installed in the north aisle in 1895 by the local organ builder, F H Browne, who had taken over the Hobday business that year. The instrument was positioned below the north altar with the console and front pipes facing the chancel. The instrument and installation cost £160.
The present instrument was rebuilt by David Griffiths ARCO (Chm), who is a former organist of St Clement’s Church in Sandwich. The organ now stands in the nave and, although it has only 173 pipes, it speaks out boldly into the generous acoustic of the building.
The specification is:
Stopped Diapason 8’ - Open Diapason 8’ - Principal 4’ - Fifteenth 2’
The maintenance and upkeep of The Heritage Organ, together with the annual Recital series, are supported entirely by voluntary contributions. Generous donations have been received from The Sandwich Society, Sandwich Town Council, Sandwich Chamber of Commerce, and Sandwich Community Arts Association.
If you would like to make a contribution to the organ fund, please make cheque payable to:
Informal recitals take place during the summer months (see Events) and a CD of the instrument is available from organist George Sharman, on 01304 613998.
If you wish to hear or play the organ, please contact him.
The Walled Garden
A delightful garden now exists where the south aisle once stood. Beautifully maintained by volunter, George Raven, it is accessible from the churchyard via an entrance in the south wall.